Sunday, July 25, 2010

"Thumper" by Thumper.

Photobucket
I'll start with the positive, and work my way toward the negative. I'm trying to curb my Haterade intake as of late. Here goes. Excellent drumming. This guy has finesse, and tact. Excellent bass playing. (See: Excellent drumming.) Middling guitar work. Mostly the thin tone was to blame for its unremarkable nature. At times the guitar literally sounded exclusively like static.

Static.

But there was also some pretty uninteresting songwriting going on, which inevitably worked against them. Still, a lot could have been fixed with better production.

MOVING ON!

Below average, bordering on somewhat annoying vocals. This person is not a singer in the sense that one should be said singer. Very plain, and slightly flat, with no noticeable training. Lots of heart though, so a small plus there. Had she some character (a la Phil Elvrum, or Tim Kinsella for that matter), then that would be a different story. Wouldn't it? Yes. Yes, it would.

Patently stupid cover art. I know this shouldn't affect my impression of the band's performances, but it did. I'm only human. (There is only so much poor production/seemingly aimless songwriting/idiotic cover art one can handle, after all.) I will say this: "There was immense talent squandered here in the forms of the bassist and drummer." There. I said it. Hence the quotation marks. The two of them are hopefully off in some awesome other three piece band, tearing it up, so to speak. This proposed band would be called "Slammer".

No comments: