Thursday, July 29, 2010

"Eva Luna" by Moonshake.

Photobucket
The song "City Poison" had me at hello. This record, and I believe quite possibly this entire band is probably (to use the words of Tim Rogers: (in reference to The Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link)) largely misunderstood, and violently awesome. The creativity and sheer honesty coming out of this record are nearly brutal. Even the more atmospheric numbers simmer just at the edge of boiling. The male vocalist almost reminds me of a more intense John Flansburgh, and the songs accompanying him are raucous, heartfelt, and mostly serious. The female vocalist was also excellent, mainly due to her understated, but unmistakable character. The production is perfect. Roomy and immediate all at once. These are wildly artistic and poetic people, who also have an impeccable ear for how things should sound post-production. That's a nearly impossible combination, and I can't stress enough how much honesty plays a part in making this record such an over the top success for me. They aren't selling anything. It just seemed to get better and better as I progressed through it. It restored my faith in genuinely creative rock as art. Listen to this record just as soon as humanly possible.

1 comment:

Alix said...

Your profile picture looks exactly like Earl Hickey.