Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"Bicycle! Bicycle!" - Freddie Mercury

A little less than a year ago, I came across a craigslist posting for a couple of run-down bicycles. The owner was giving them away for free, on the condition that they be picked up by the interested party. I probably wouldn't have been interested, but they were both really old and charming, and I love a project, so I went and picked them up. One was an old delivery bike from China, equipped with a tiny generator for a pair of head-lights and a tail-light. I decided I'd put that one aside for my friend, Jessica. The other was a metallic silver 12-speed from a Coast-to-Coast store called a Medalist. That one was for me. All the bearings were shot and the chains were rusted on both bikes, making them both practically worthless. I liked the frame for the Medalist, though, so I decided to teach myself how to build up a bike from nothing but the original frame outfitted with new parts. I'll keep you guys posted as I make progress, and post photos of the whole process.

No comments: