Monday, February 16, 2009

"Perfect Teeth" by Unrest.

Photobucket
It took me an exorbitant amount of time to finally listen to this record all the way through. It wasn't the album itself I found off-putting, I think I just couldn't find the time to fully devote to it without being a little distracted, and that's not exactly fair to the artist. At any rate, I finished it, and here's what I thought: Unrest seem very good at the core, but their message gets lost around the edges. A majority of the songs are made up of only 2 different parts. Their execution is slick, however, saving them from total disaster. I'd still like to hear some more variances, but that's merely a preference. Their overall tone is that of general under the radar indie pop, with a few somber nuances. The drummer is the real star, though, possessing a hefty sum of finesse, which he exercises generously, throughout the album. The song Breather X.O.X.O. is especially creative, both in its approach, and its execution. All in all, a nice record, but something about it kept me at arms length.

No comments: