Saturday, January 10, 2009

"Rev" by Ultra Vivid Scene.

Photobucket
Yet another in a long line of middling records. This album was well done, but unremarkable. The main offender? The singer. As I listened to this record, I imagined someone with some real vigor, like Roger Daltrey or Roland Orzabal, belting some awesome trademark stylings over the music, and I instantly saw potential. The songs themselves weren't necessarily bad, but the vocalist bored me, and therefore the songs suffered. This was a real lesson for me in just how important a good front man can be. Of course, any truly good band needs all parties firing on all cylinders (creatively, and performance-wise), but if the vocalist isn't powerful in some way, it seems to be the biggest, and most noticeable detractor.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Nice review. Hey, when will you review that Rush album with the rap on it? "Roll the Bones," is it?

"It's such a cloudy day, seems like we'll never see the sun..." Or so a wise man once said.

You should come over sometime and see the baby.

Izzy said...

I will review Roll the Bones just for you. I don't think you realize the heft (in a good way) of what you're asking, though. It's such an important album in my musical life (likely the most, believe it or not) that it may take a while to get my thoughts together in an expressive, but fair way about it.

Neil Peart IS a wise man.

I would love to come over soon. I have wednesday and thursday off.

idwierd said...

Any chance we can get a link for Rev? Can't find it anywhere!?!?!

Izzy said...

I'll see what I can do.