Thursday, November 27, 2008

"Shallow End of the Gene Pool" by Mariner Nine.

Photobucket
Aside from the ridiculous album name and juvenile song titles ("Dude, I'm Growing My Hair" and "Red Rocket Serenade" had me chuckling as I imported the disc to my collection), this record is an impressively awesome effort. I have never heard anything about this band, and the production, while decent, shows that these guys are probably nobodys who had enough money to cut an album. On some of the songs, you can even hear the white noise from certain instruments being punched in during the recording process. A little shoddily done, but the songs are so good, that I forgive literally every shortcoming this record has. That's no small feat, as the smallest thing (especially silly song titles) can mean a deal breaker for me. So far, this is one of the only records in this review process, that I have listened to over and over simply because I like it so well. The songs have a similar vein, but the ideas are always fresh and never repeat themselves. This is perfectly done, colorful indie pop, and I'm going to track down any other recordings by this solid outfit.

2 comments:

Chris said...

I loved your "white noise" comment. Good ears!

Chris said...

Dude, I just "memed" you. Check out my post called Louis L'A-MEME and see if you're up for it. It would be cool to see new stuff you've read this year.