Tuesday, July 21, 2009

"500 Miles to Glory" by Various Artists.

Photobucket
This record is a compilation of Punkabilly bands, mostly rocking out about cars, or racing and debauchery in general. It was a pretty fun listen, honestly. I'm not really into anythingbilly, but I'd probably listen to this in the garage while working on my car, or even while driving really fast. I particularly like the little soundbites that sounded like they were recorded sometime in the '50s in between each song about the Indy 500. They gave the record a genuine sense of raw nostalgia, and really helped move the album along. Not too shabby for a genre in which I have no interest musically.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This album is a spinoff of the 1957 Mercury album of the same title. The old album however was engineered by Bill Putnam, and comprised the results of the 1957 Indy 500, as the result of 125 hrs of editing 125,000 feet of recording from 4 locations, over telephone wire, with two men manning the mikes in each 4 locations.
I found this album on Amazon issued in 1995 or 1997, a total of 3 albums listed, but this is not the same as the old one. The old one was a popular title to use in stores and demo rooms to sell stereo to the public way back when sound was monophonic in all homes. Needless to say the old album is comprised on the sound of CAR ENGINES!!!!!!

So not only did I find this album a waste of time I found it frustrating that the original album is not available.

-Mikkel